Monday, July 8, 2013

The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden By: Frances Hodgson Burnett Illustrated By: Graham Rust

This is the story of Mary and Colin.  Mary is an orphan who is sent to live in the Manor. No body pays any attention to her and she is left pretty much alone, she spends many  hours outside in the gardens around the Manor. One day she finds the key to the secret garden that no one is allowed to go into.  Mary decides that she is going to fix the overgrown and neglected garden up.  Her housekeeper friend, Martha tells her that her brother Dickon is a great help.  One night Mary is tired of the crying she hears in the house and sets out to investigate.  She meets Colin who has many illnesses and believes that he cannot walk.  Together they both learn to trust others and they become better people.

While I just gave a terrible description of this book, it is one of my favorites.  I was given this book when I was nine and loved it then to.  This is a classic story that never gets old. I loved each character and how by the end they had changed into better people.  I love reading it over and over again.

I was given this book as a gift many years ago
ISBN: 0-87923-649-3

No comments:

Post a Comment