Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Hostage Prince

The Hostage Prince By: Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple

Snail is a midwife's apprentice and she tries her hardest to do the best job that she can.  Prince Aspen is the prince that has been held hostage since he was a little boy and he just lives everyday hoping that he will be able to go home again. On the day the Queen is supposed to have her baby, Snail finds herself in the dungeon because someone has killed the Queen.  That same day Prince Aspen is told by his closest friend that war is upon them and that he would be better to run away so that he is not killed first as the hostage.  So Snail and Aspen find them selves running together on a strange journey to his home.  But their journey is not quite as safe as they thought.

I really liked this book.  I saw it at the library on the new children's shelf and I am glad I picked it up.  I was instantly drawn into this book as the characters are truly likeable.  I enjoyed how Snail and Aspen didn't get along very well, but they knew they needed each other and ended up friends anyway.  I was surprised by what happens at the end, and I think you will be too.  This is the first in a trilogy ans so now I am left frustrated to hear what happens to the two of them next! Perfect choice for a boy or girl reader about fourth or fifth grade to start but I know older readers will like it too.

I borrowed this from the public library.
ISBN: 978-0-670-01434-7

No comments:

Post a Comment