Friday, August 23, 2013

The Saturday Boy

The Saturday Boy By: David Fleming

Derek knows one thing he is thankful for his dad's letters.  His father was sent back to Afghanistan to fly helicopters and Derek really misses him.  Derek does not fit in at school, he has to much energy and his nemesis Budgie is not nice to him at all.   Derek does not understand why Budgie who used to be his friend is so mean to him now.  Everything changes one day when his aunt comes and he finds out that his father is missing.  Derek's life gets very different from there.

I loved this book.  I felt so sorry for Derek, he is obviously one of those kiddos that school is hard for and his father is gone.  My heart broke for him throughout the book as I read the mean things the kids and teachers said and did.   I hurt for all the families that have loved ones that serve our country and miss their families, and have the chance of not coming home. Beautiful story.  Due to the content and a few swear words I would say this is for middle school readers.

I borrowed this from the public library.
ISBN:978-0-670-78551-3

No comments:

Post a Comment