Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake By: Aimee Bender

On her ninth birthday Rose finds out that she has a special gift.  She can taste the feelings of the person who makes her food. This may sound like a great thing, except when you find out that you mother is not a happy person.  Or when you find out that your mother is happy because she is seeing someone that is not your father.  As Rose grows her tasting ability gets to the point that she can tell where certain foods are made or grown. This forces Rose to love food that is packaged.  Rose has to figure out how to deal with this type of gift and figure out just where she stands in the world. Her mother who is distant, her father who is afraid of hospitals, and her brother who just disappears from the world at times. 

I think that this book was interesting. I don't know that I loved it, and am still not sure what I feel about it.  I felt very confused and sad when the book ended.  I felt that Rose had a potential that she missed and her family's odd behaviors and sadness made my heart break for her.  I really feel odd about this book, like I might have missed something along the way.  It was a quick read and not for kids, for adults.  I cant wait until my book group meets to talk about this book so I get others perspectives of the book.

I borrowed this from the public library.
ISBN:  978-0-385-50112-5

No comments:

Post a Comment