Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Because of Mr. Terupt

Because of Mr. Terupt By: Rob Buyea

This book tells the story of Mr. Terupt's fifth grade class. We meet his students and they tell their side of the classroom story. Peter wants to make sure that he gets away with things because their teacher is new. Alexis likes to start the girl drama war. Danielle wants people to be her friend and hates being fat. The teaching style of Mr. Terupt finds a way to connect all the kids and changes the way they each think of school. But one day there is an accident that changes everything.

I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. I loved the way we got to know each student, and saw the class from their opinion.  As a fifth grade teacher, I always wonder how I come across to students. The way the accident plays out, and then the end of the book had me thinking hard about the whole story. What if something like that happened? How would students handle it?  Maybe the vision of my own students going through that made me think twice.  I don't know, it just made me sad.

I borrowed this book from a friend.
ISBN: 978-0-375-85824-6

No comments:

Post a Comment