Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Chinese Cinderella

Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of  an Unwanted Daughter By: Adeline Yen Mah

Adeline has never been the favorite daughter. In fact, she is the most not liked. She is blamed for her mother's death, as her mother died two weeks after giving birth to her.  When Adeline's father remarries, it is apparent that things are only going to get worse for her and her siblings.  They are not as favored as the new siblings, and they are mistreated.  Adeline works her hardest in school and outside her house to be the best she can be, she is given many awards, but never once does anyone come to see her.  Eventually Adeline is sent to live at two different boarding houses, and is never contacted by her family.  But throughout all of this she eventually makes a name for herself by winning a writing contest, that starts her career as an author.

Such a beautifully sad story.  I cannot imagine what her childhood was like, and it makes me very thankful that I lived with parents who loved me, and cared for me. What I also found heartbreaking was that there were other girls that lived in the boarding houses and orphanages with Adeline that were going through the same types of things.  A wonderful book.

I purchased this from Barnes and Nobel
ISBN: 978-0-385-74007-4

No comments:

Post a Comment