Monday, July 30, 2012

The Book Thief

The Book Thief By: Markus Zusak

Liesel Meminger is a foster child who has been taken into the home of a family near Munich, Germany.  She has already witnessed the death of her brother and feels the loss of her mother and is so young. When her brother is buried, she begins her career as a book thief, even though she cannot read very well. As the Nazis begin to take over she begins to understand the way of the world as she knows, it and finds a love for books even though she is not a good reader. But to calm her nightmares her father stays up late at night teaching her to read.  Things get even trickier for her and her family when they begin to hide a Jewish man in their house.

I liked this story a lot. I would have to say that it was not an easy read for me. The topic was not something that I enjoy reading about because of its depressing nature, and it was not a simple read and took a lot of thought. I did think that it was well written and  a must read for high school and older.  I liked the perspective of the book, being from a third person who is not involved in the book but tells things as they come.

I borrowed this from the public library.
ISBN: 0-375-83100-2

No comments:

Post a Comment