Monday, January 16, 2012

Balloons Over Broadway

Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of The Puppeteer of Macy's Parade By: Melissa Sweet

This is the story of Tony Sarg who loved puppets from the time he was little. He started making his own puppets and eventually got a job at Macy's making window displays that crowds loved.  Then Macy's asked him to plan an parade, the first one was with puppets and live zoo animals. Then he thought to make it better so more people could see the parade he would make puppets in the sky. He talked with the people who made blimps and that is where the idea of the large balloons was created. From then on every year Macy's has a huge parade at Thanksgiving all because Tony Sarg was able to create puppets in the air.

I loved this book. I have always loved the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and this book makes it even more special. To read the story of how the parade started and how Tony Sarg came up with the idea for his balloons was fantastic. The artwork is very good too. I would love to read this to kids the day before Thanksgiving and talk about the parade more.  My children loved this book and I plan to share it with my students this week, even if Thanksgiving is over.

I found this at the public library
ISBN: 978-0-547-19945-0

No comments:

Post a Comment