Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane By: Neil Gaiman

As an adult, a man comes back for a funeral to his home town. He feels compelled to visit a farm where as a child, he met a girl. He drives to the end of the road, and sees a run down house. There is a woman there, who he remembers, and she tells him to go and sit by the pond while she makes him a cup of tea.  While sitting by that pond he remembers everything.  The story he remembers is not a good one, but one of a seven year old boy, who experiences events that are very scary.  He remembers the evil that hunted him, and how the girl, Lettie, and her mother and grandmother, helped save him.

This was a captivating book.  I know that my summary really only touches the surface of the events in the story, but there is no way to put into words the depth of the book.  I didn't put it down until I was finished.  What I really enjoyed was that the author created these events that the boy went through that were so traumatic, that you had to keep reading to see what was going to happen. And in the end, I still was surprised. Full of magic, and an understanding of how we deal with traumatic events in our life, definitely a must read. It has been a while since a book truly leaves me at a loss for words.

I borrowed this from the public library
ISBN: 9780062255679

No comments:

Post a Comment