Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium

The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium By: Nancy Farmer

Matt does not understand why he is to stay away from everyone, but Celia told him to stay hidden.  But when the chance arrives, Matt is desperate to talk to the other kids, so he smashes the window and gets out.  This is the event that leads to Matt finding out that he is a clone for El Patron. Others think he is a dirty disgusting animal, but El Patron wants him to learn things.  Matt is just trying to find a place for himself. But Matt can never fit in because he is not accepted as a person.  He must run away and figure out the way of the world himself.  When El Patron dies though, Matt becomes him. He is the new Lord of Opium.  This job comes with many duties that Matt thinks might need to change form the way El Patron did it. This presents a whole new problem for Matt as he still just wants to find himself.

I am sorry for those that maybe want to read the books separately, to me they definitely have to go together.  I am still undecided on whether I liked these books. I think that true science fiction fans would enjoy them more than I did.  The whole notion of clones, was a fascinating thing to me, but the way that Matt was treated was hard for me to read. And then there is the whole drug lord piece that I just don't connect with.  Some teens out there will really enjoy these.

I borrowed them from the public library
ISBN: 978-0-689-85223-7 and 978-1-4424-8254-8


No comments:

Post a Comment