Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy  By: J.K. Rowling


This is the story of a small town who has just lost a prominent member of society.  With the death of Barry Fairbrother, many people's lives are changed.   Some people want his place on the town council, some people realize he was their best friend, and some just think it is a great loss.  This town is full of secrets and stories.  There are many people who feel the poorer side of the town should not be allowed in, some teens are out to get back at their parents, and some adults are in the middle of affairs that they should not be in.  One thing is for sure, everyone wants the seat on the town council and many will stop at nothing to get it.  

I cannot say that I loved this book.  It was a tough read. Very adult and full of things that reading about was hard.  What struck me as the hardest parts were the lives of the teens in the town.  Rowling really focused on the kids that were suffering and what they were doing with their lives. I know that that is what happens to teens, but it was hard to read.  I also thought that the adults in the town, while like many have many hidden secrets were just very self involved.  I was trying to not compare this book to Harry Potter, but those I loved, this book was just not for me. 

I borrowed this from a friend.
ISBN: 978-0-316-22853-4

No comments:

Post a Comment